Friday, February 19, 2010

“Say I am You” The Weepies


I am so sleepy.

Last night, I made a promise to Preston (my husband) that I would get up with him in the morning, which is earlier than I have usually been getting up. Of course, I make these promises when I'm not really sleepy and trying to fall asleep at night. Needless to say, I'm mildly regretting my words this morning, but for better or for worse, I was actually up well before my birth control alarm went off. I had a pleasant time with Preston before he left for school, drinking coffee and commenting on the fact I have yet to memorize the words to the J-Pop theme song from Great Teacher Onizuka (the live-action version). Now I am left to myself, my coffee and my iPod, which is playing today's current selection for discussion.

OK, I think the coffee is kicking in, but the feeling of awake-ness isn't so harsh anymore. The Weepies has that effect on me, and I am glad for it.

I would like to say that I discovered The Weepies all by myself, but that would be lying…in a way. When I first became aware of them, I was browsing the Myspace page of a guy I had recently met through Yahoo at the time. Their song "Gotta Have You" happened to be his selection of background music for the page. I was so intrigued by the lyricism and the voice quality of the woman singing it that I could not resist the need to know more about them. After I had placed the song on my Myspace page and exhausted its play-through over and over again, I decided it was high time that I had a copy of the album for my very own. If the rest of their music was as good as this, then surely I would enjoy it just as much or even more. The rest, as they say, is history. As of now, I have all three of their albums, and it is only fitting that my introduction of their music in this blog starts with this album. As for the guy I met from Yahoo, my friendship with him has come and gone, but I will always be eternally grateful for his unknowing influence towards The Weepies.

I love the story behind the group. They were two solo musicians, aware and in awe of each other's music yet unaware that the other felt the same. One night, they get up the nerve to talk to each other, find themselves writing together before the end of the night and have been writing ever since. If any of you have seen the film Once (which is amazing and you should see it, especially after my blog on its soundtrack, which is also amazing), then it will remind of you in a way of that story. The only difference is…well, shucks…I can't tell you if you haven't seen the film yet. It would spoil the story. Just take my word for it that it's similar, ok? OK.

He he, the song "Nobody Knows Me at All" is on at the moment, and I can't help but smile a nice warm lazy smile. It always reminds me of this one time Casey and I were spending time with friends Phiet and April, and this song came on. It's hard to describe that moment, but let me tell you, it was pretty funny and memorable. I do remember it was in the car, and now that I think about it, many of my memories with this particular album occurred in my car, moving along and watching nature pass me by. It gives me that balmy, sleepy cloudy sky, 75-degree warm feeling all over, which was usually the perfect cure for a long day at work or whatever seems to be daunting. It contains a sort of quiet happiness about it that keeps you warm on cold days and allows you to slow down and enjoy life on warm days.

My only question about their music that has never been answered is this: what on earth do they mean when they sing "You know, the way you look makes everyone hungry" in the same song as "Dye your hair suicide blonde"? What color is suicide blonde, anyways?

Any suggestions towards an answer to that question will be gladly accepted. But for now, I'm off to spend one of my last few days of freedom from the work world cleaning, playing Sims 2 and other video games, and getting employee paperwork done, all with a balmy, sleepy cloudy sky, 75-degree warm feeling all over. If it wasn't so chilly outside, I would lay a blanket out in my backyard and watch the clouds.

I guess that will just have to wait until Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment