Friday, April 2, 2010

"The Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek" Relient K


OMG OMG OMFG!!!!!! Have you seen how green it is outside?!?!?!?!?! It's like, freaking Ireland out there!!!! I had today off and was able to go visit my grandparents' farm. When we got out of town, it just hit me like a brick wall how green it was. It made my heart happy.

Well, Happy Good Friday, everyone. I have to say that, out of all the holidays of the year, Easter season is by far my favorite. The earth is waking up to its beautiful self, Easter music is in my heart, and true to its tradition, it has been shown favor to have good memories abound during this time of year in the form of a rather sizable tax refund. And a lot of the happiness that I find during this season has to do with the music. Have you ever listened to Easter music when it pertains to the Resurrection? It's vigorous and exciting and...well, full of life. I have nothing against Christmas music; it heralds the majestic royal nature of Christ. But there's something about Easter music that speaks of the true nature of Christ. As C.S. Lewis says of Aslan, "He's not a very tame lion." It is for that reason that I love Him so and the life He brings. Easter music seems only fitting in this sense.

Anyways, enough of my Easter-music-gasm....

I do apologize for the delay in posts. With this new job I have, I find the life sucked out of me by the end of the day. Only when I am about to retire for the evening do I vaguely remember this blog, and by that time, I'm just ready to sleep. It's not that I haven't been thinking about this blog post; it's just that it escapes my need for obligation to complete. But here I am, delivering you my lyrical thoughts once again.

Some of you that really know me have come to realize the significance of Relient K in my life. Some of you were actually there when they sparked my creativity and provoked me to find a way to draw out a story from their discography, placing them into a musical fit for Broadway. Some of you may have noticed how I pandered on the issue ever since then and have taken a long journey to bring myself back to it. Within the past week or so, I have finally had the gentle but firm motivation (via my God-given husband) to finally place pencil to paper and really do this. As a result, I have spent much time recently listening to their albums, including this one, and I have had time to remember the memories tied to it.

Although this is not their first released album, this is the first album that I obtained of theirs. I remember the day I received it, too--it was my first year of college at SAGU, and I was just finishing up New Student Orientation week. I had been with my family very little that day as they were unable to make it in time to a financial aid meeting with me. I remember how very cross they were that I wasn't able to see them that much before they left to make the then 13-hour trip home, but nothing could be done about it. They were leaving, and I was staying, alone and unfamiliar with my surroundings. Before they left, however, they gave me two 'housewarming' gifts to usher in this new era of dorm life. One was a VHS copy of Legally Blonde (which I still own and occasionally watch to this day), and the other (per the request of Casey) was "The Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek" by Relient K. We had come to know their songs from that album in the first full year we lived in New Mexico, so it was like she was sharing with me a part of her that became the first of many. My sister is kick-butt like that, one of my closest companions since as long as I've known her, and I completely blame her for aiding and abetting God on my path to His purpose. Thanks, Case.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Or in this case, history in the making. One can only hope.

That's all for now. I bought two new albums today! I plan to make them the next two topics of discussion. Until then, it's off to try the Wingin' It place in town and see if their chicken wings are as amazing as they make them out to be.

Happy Easter, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment