Friday, June 11, 2010

Double Feature: "The Color Purple" Soundtrack and Billy Joel's "Storm Front"

I need to get better at this. Really I do. It's annoying how inconsistent I can be about things that interest me the most. Moreover, it's actually rather sad that I can't find a shred of energy to devote to things I love. This particular day finds me at the end of a day that was not meant to be. A woman, a veterinarian, from one of the groups we service at work berated and belittled me in the midst of me trying to help her and her employee because she "doesn't have time for this. It's your screw-up. Fix it." You know what, lady? I really don't have time for this, either. I understand...you can't POSSIBLY pull yourself away from saving the lives of animals, but understand this, you vile representation of the soft-hearted female that you're supposed to be...I didn't want to put up with your sad excuse of the fact that you can't possibly be bothered to pay for a service we render you. They don't pay me enough to sift through your poor exhibition of humanity to come on my hands and knees begging you to forgive me for something that happened before I even started working there that YOU were too lazy to check for yourself. No...I AM WOMAN, TOO, YOU SELFISH BRAZEN HUSSY!!

It's at times like these I miss my last job that allowed me to listen to music while I worked. I have found that music is a key ingredient to my vitality; it reminds me in its subtle way that I am still alive and full of creativity. I'm hoping that when I move to part-time status at work come August that I will have a job that allows me to do this once more. Until then, I take what I can get as far as times to listen. Well, it's been a while since I have been able to, but before that happened I was able to stumble through to very different representations of music, which is why I am commenting on two albums this evening.

The first up to the plate is the soundtrack from Oprah Winfrey’s “The Color Purple” (why Oprah’s name is attached to this is beyond me, but far be it from me to announce or label the album/show other than what it has been). I actually bought the album before I saw the show (as is the case with most of the musical soundtracks I own), and I knew that eventually I wanted to see how the show played out along with the music. Preston and I finally had the opportunity in January 2009 as a belated Christmas present to ourselves. Believe me, it was an investment well spent. The story is a somber one, but it has its humorous moments, which make the musical very endearing and memorable. I think now of all times the plight of Celie that's played out in the show rings true to me. She spends most of her life separated from her only sister and the children she gave birth to and constantly asks God, "Why?" She almost gives up on God until she realizes that sometimes it just takes a while for things to come full. It spoke to me of trust and living life as much as you can with what you have. The song "I'm Here" expounds on this. In it, Celie states that she may not have those things she wants close to her, but in the same way she does. "Most of all I'm thankful for lovin' who I really am. I'm beautiful, and I'm here," she ends the song. It really does take coming to a point where we sees in us what God sees in us and becoming comfortable enough to say that same mantra--I'm beautiful, and I'm here.

The other feature on this post I happened to find for a whopping 97 cents at Hastings one day. As we all know...I can't pass up Billy Joel, especially when it comes cheap, so yet another album from the Piano Man made its way into my collection (though as of this post, not yet onto my iPod--I fudged a little). I liked the first song, "That's Not Her Style" the first time I listened to it. As I made my way through the rest of the album, however, I found it to be a prime example of what made 80's music so cheesy and odd. Even so, it has quite a few songs that I have always enjoyed, such as "We Didn't Start the Fire" (and yes, I can actually sing the whole song...when the song's playing), "Downeaster Alexa" (my dad's ringtone on my phone, family inside joke) and "Leningrad" ("blast those yellow Reds to hell"...probably the wittiest and silliest line of its time from a poignant lyric). In the end, I believe that it was a 97 cents well spent.

After writing this, I feel a little better after such a heinous day. I feel accomplished, which is always a good thing concerning things that matter to you. The only place I need to work on accomplishment is my stomach that is currently growling on account that we haven't had dinner yet because a splendid evening cut short. Preston's Home Depot job somehow said he was scheduled to work tonight, though he took down his schedule himself and didn't see himself on for tonight. Both of us were frustrated, but as of now, there's little we can do. So...I wait to obtain foodage.

Here's hoping life is treating you well, wherever you are. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment