Sunday, May 8, 2011

"Declaration" Steven Curtis Chapman


Happy Mother's Day, everyone. I am currently sitting in a semi spur-of-the-moment situation with my parents, my sister and her husband. All of it is usually my sister's idea. I always start to realize I would be receiving a call from her about the week before, so I tell myself I'll think of a decent I idea that doesn't cost too much...and then, I end up getting that call with not so much as a complete sentence of an idea to offer. This year, she decided we should go up and surprise her with lunch and gelato, and I never have anything better to suggest other than a card, so here we are. Now that all that was planned has been complete, I decided to take time to gather my thoughts for this week's selection.

It's somewhat fitting that this week's music on topic is "Declaration" by Steven Curtis Chapman. It reminds me of my Junior year of high school, when I started preparing for that year's Fine Arts Festival. It was the first of one of the few times that my mother helped me choreograph my human video, which came from this album. I have to say this about my mother--she's just like any mother, annoying and frustrating and still a work in progress...but I have to say that she never discouraged me from following my dreams. It was her way of saying I could be my own person, I think. For that, I will always be grateful.

This album also holds sour memories for me. It reminds me of a time when I spoke my mind in constructive criticism, only to be berated by an individual ignorant of the situation concerning the person I previously advised. Needless to say, I don't concern myself with this album, artist or Fine Arts Festival very often due to this painful experience. I find them overrated now as a whole. It's all I really care to say on the matter at the moment, partially for the reason I'm tapping this blog out on my BlackBerry phone, and my thumbs are getting weary. If I feel so inclined, I may expound upon my reservations and issues about Fine Arts Festival, as well as Christian music in general.

But for now, I leave you with glorious greetings on this celebration of women and life. For without women, we may not be here today.

Happy Mother's Day!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment